North Korea's deputy United Nations ambassador said a "thermonuclear war may break out at any moment", accusing the United States of escalating the situation in a news conference on Monday.
Earlier, after discovering "great chemistry" with Chinese President Xi Jinping over "the most handsome piece of chocolate cake" at Mar-a-Lago, Trump had confided, "I explained ... that a trade deal with the US will be far better for them if they solve the North Korean problem!"
Late Monday, Pence reiterated in a joint statement alongside South Korean Acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn that "all options are on the table" and said any use of nuclear weapons by Pyongyang would be met with "an overwhelming and effective response". Thousands of North Korean soldiers marched in lockstep through the city's main square.
Last week, NBC News reported the Trump administration is prepared to launch a preemptive attack on North Korea if it proceeds toward a nuclear weapons test. Hours before Pence arrived in South Korea, North Korea attempted to test launch a new ballistic missile, but the test failed as the missile blew up nearly immediately.
North Korea's envoy to the United Nations Kim In Ryong said the regime was preparing for "any mode of war" triggered by potential USA military action, and said his country would respond to a missile or nuclear strike "in kind".
Trump on Monday said his message to North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un was: "Got to behave". Hundreds of South Korean, North Korean, and USA troops were killed in skirmishes along the DMZ in the 1960s, and there have been a number of smaller incidents since.
Even North Korea's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Kim In-Ryong, insists that nuclear war is a very real possibility if the United States insists on not allowing them to continue with their missile tests, as the Daily Express report.
HONG DONG-WAN, South Korean College Student (through interpreter): In fact, I believe we have to strongly respond to North Korea's provocation.
President Trump called Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday to congratulate him on "his recent referendum victory", the White House confirmed.
On Asia trip, Pence may fill details on N. Korea policy
Pence was given a report on North Korea's failed missile launch aboard Air Force Two en route to South Korea and talked with U.S. McMaster told Raddatz it would be in the regime's "best interest" to halt their nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.
American foreign policy since the Korean truce of 1953 has been to support the existence of the DMZ to prevent direct conflict between the fiefdom of the Kim family and one of the most vibrant economies in all of East Asia.
Earlier, US Vice-President Mike Pence warned Pyongyang not to test the US, saying his country's "era of strategic patience" was over.
Earlier, Mr Pence warned that the Trump administration was going "to abandon the failed policy of strategic patience" with Pyongyang.
Past administrations, though, have failed to stop, let alone slow down, North Korea's nuclear program and ballistic missile developments.
"North Korea has vastly increased the threat that it poses to the region and global peace, so any rise in tensions is entirely due to the provocative behaviour of North Korea", Ms Bishop said.
The 38 North program is part of the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University in Washington.
He went on to say that "the DPRK is ready to react to any mode of war desired by the U.S".
Mattis has done his own reassurance tour of Asia, but Pence's trip brings a higher level of engagement and carries more weight.
"I explained to the President of China that a trade deal with the United States will be far better for them if they solve the North Korean problem!" China accounts for 80% of North Korea's foreign trade and has significant political leverage over North Korea. It was initially described by a U.S. Pacific Command press release as a KN-15, a new land-based, multi-stage, medium-range missile that uses solid fuel.



Comments