Pence says USA set on ensuring nuclear-free Korea

Adjust Comment Print

As the brown bomber jacket-clad vice president was briefed near the military demarcation line, two North Korean soldiers watched from a short distance away, one taking multiple photographs of the American visitor.

So when the medium-range missile test failed right after launch early Sunday morning local time, Trump was informed immediately and chose to downplay it, according to the person. But Pence made clear on Monday that the USA was ready to act should Pyongyang cross the red line, by conducting its sixth nuclear test or testing an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of reaching the continental U.S.

In an article in Chinese state tabloid Global Times, Yang Chengjun, a retired senior colonel and Chinese military expert, said North Korea does not yet have the technology to guarantee a successful launch.

"But the era of strategic patience is over", he declared.

US President Donald Trump has said that will not happen, and stepped up pressure on the isolated North. Any missile or nuclear strike by the United States would be responded to "in kind", said the North Korea representative. He said North Korea's measures to bolster its nuclear forces are self-defensive "to cope with the US vicious nuclear threat and blackmail", and he said his country "is ready to react to any mode of war desired by the U.S". At a news conference at the United Nations on Monday, North Korea's permanent representative Ambassador Kim In-ryong, condemned the U.S. missile strikes in Syria, which targeted an air base after a suspected chemical attack by the government.

Intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) are driven past the stand with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and other high-ranking officials during a military parade at the weekend. -South Korean military exercises being staged now are the largest-ever "aggressive war drill".

"The world witnessed the strength and resolve of our new President [Donald Trump] in actions taken in Syria and Afghanistan", Pence said.

According to the former British foreign secretary, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, the missile test likely failed because the USA interfered with the workings of the missile's system.

The vice president earlier visited a military installation near the DMZ, Camp Bonifas, for a briefing with military leaders at the joint U.S. He said his country "is ready to react to any mode of war desired by the U.S".

Crowd trouble delays Europa League match in Lyon
The Union of European Football Association (UEFA) will be fining both teams, but Besiktas will probably face heavier sanctions. Fans began to rush towards the field to escape, interrupting the players who had just taken the field for their warmups.

Pence said in Seoul earlier on Tuesday the Trump administration would review and reform a 5-year-old free trade agreement with South Korea.

For its part, China made a plea for a return to negotiations. Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said tensions need to be eased on the Korean Peninsula to bring the escalating dispute there to a peaceful resolution.

A Japanese official says a difference in approach remains with the usa despite an agreement on a framework for new bilateral economic talks.

Said Abe: "It goes without saying that it is a matter of paramount importance for us to seek diplomatic efforts as well peaceable settlements of the issue".

The comments on what was once touted by Washington as the "gold standard" in trade pacts came as Mr Pence prepared to fly to Tokyo for the second leg of his four-nation Asian tour, where he is set to meet Japan's finance minister Taro Aso and discuss trade-boosting measures.

"North Korea is looking for trouble".

While the North did not conduct a nuclear test, the specter of a potential test and an escalated USA response has trailed Pence as he undertakes his Asian tour. The big question, however, is how China will respond if either the USA or North Korea fires that first shot.

Meanwhile, as the USA and Australia ratchet up pressure on China to use its leverage over North Korea, Beijing called on all sides to avoid any further "provocative actions".

Comments