North Korean leader Kim Jong Un waves during a military parade on Saturday, April 15, 2017, in Pyongyang.
North Koreans offer flowers in front of a mural of late leaders Kim Il Sung, left, and Kim Jong Il on Friday, April 14, 2017, in Pyongyang, North Korea.
North Korea on Saturday warned the USA not to take provocative action in the region, saying it is "ready to hit back with nuclear attacks".
Military planes flew in formation, creating the number "105" above Kim Il Sung Square.
Unlike at previous Pyongyang parades there did not appear to be any Chinese representatives present.
North Korea has made no secret of its desire to boost its military power, while a USA naval strike group is approaching close to waters off the Korean Peninsula in a show of force, following high-profile US military attacks this month on Syria and the Islamic State in a remote part of Afghanistan.
"We call on all parties to refrain from provoking and threatening each other, whether in words or actions, and not let the situation get to an irreversible and unmanageable stage", Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters in Beijing.
The parade also featured the North's submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBM) for the first time. The United States, South Korea and other countries have vowed to apply more pressure on the North, but so far nothing has worked to stop Pyongyang's nuclear program.
Speculation had run rampant with the recent saber-rattling between the USA and North Korea, that a defiant Kim Jong-un would try a launch. Also on display was a powerful midrange missile that can potentially reach US air bases in Guam, which outside analysts call a "Musudan", as well as a new solid-fuel midrange missile that can be fired from land mobile launchers, making them harder to detect before launch.
Cup win over Chelsea will leave them doubting title credentials, says Kane
Mourinho said: "Normally you win the title if you are 22 matches unbeaten and we are struggling to finish top four". The Toffees moved ahead of Manchester United into fifth place on goal difference, having played three games more .
(KRT via AP). In this image made from video provided by North Korean broadcaster KRT, missiles are displayed during a parade at Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, Saturday, April 15, 2017.
Meanwhile, Seoul officials told Yonhap that the failed missile launched on Sunday resembled the type of a projectile the North fired earlier this month. "Multiple SLBMs seems like a declaration of intent to advance the program". The official said plans could change in the unlikely event a North Korean missile targets South Korea, Japan or USA territory.
Choe Ryong Hae, a close aide to Kim Jong Un, addressed the packed square with a characteristically bellicose warning to the United States.
"We're prepared to respond to an all-out war with an all-out war and we are ready to hit back with nuclear attacks of our own style against any nuclear attacks", Choe said.
The state news agency said the Trump administration's "serious military hysteria" had reached a "dangerous phase which can no longer be overlooked".
Trump posted a tweet Tuesday in which he said the North is "looking for trouble" and reiterated his call for more pressure from Beijing, North Korea's economic lifeline, to clamp down on trade and strengthen its enforcement of United Nations sanctions to persuade Pyongyang to denuclearize. Amid rising regional tensions, Pyongyang residents have been preparing for North Korea's most important hol.
North Korean soldiers also rolled out another large rocket that appeared to be the size of an ICBM, but what a South Korean military analyst said hasn't been seen before.
"It would be nice if the bomb could frighten Pyongyang, but its actual impact may just be the opposite", it said in an editorial.
China - the North's sole major ally and economic lifeline - on Friday warned that war over North Korea could break out "at any moment".



Comments