Chemical weapons experts in Turkey to investigate; UK confirms sarin use

Adjust Comment Print

A team of experts from the global chemical weapons watchdog has been sent to Turkey to collect samples as part of an investigation into an alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria last week that killed 87 people.

The U.N. announced Wednesday that Virginia Gamba is becoming its special representative for children and armed conflict.

Turkey performed autopsies on three Syrians killed in the attack last week. She's expected to stay on for a few weeks.

"The terrorist groups are capable of obtaining, and stockpiling such weapons with the help of well-known regional countries and that what Syria has been warning against in every instance the rebels used chemical weapons against civilians and government forces", the statement said.

A Ministry of Defense spokesperson told CNN on Thursday that the scientists had conducted the tests in British labs on blood and hair samples from victims, collected at Khan Sheikhun in Syria's idlib province, where 89 people were killed in the April 4 gas attack.

Russia's foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov, said Thursday he expected the OPCW to conduct an extensive probe into the attack, and insisted the organization visit both Khan Sheikhoun and the air base struck by USA missiles.

Tecno Mobile Launches 5 Smartphones In India
The Tecno i7 is powered by a MediaTek MT6750 chipset that comprises of an octa-core 1.5GHz CPU alongside ARM Mali-T860 GPU. In terms of camera, the i5 handset has a 13-megapixel primary camera with auto-focus, quad-LED flash and f/2.0 aperture.

The report comes one day after Russian Federation vetoed a Western-backed U.N. Security Council resolution demanding a speedy probe into the April 4 attack on Khan Sheikhoun. They say they are working to clear Islamic State militants out of Jalab Valley, north of Raqqa. But the countryside south of Raqqa is still under IS control.

The majority of the worldwide community has blamed the attack, which killed 87 people, including many children, on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attack, believed to have been carried out by Syrian army jets, caused many people to choke, and some had foam coming out of their mouths. U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley said the veto left Moscow, a key ally of the Syrian government, with "a lot to prove".

Meanwhile, preparations were underway for the planned evacuation of more than 10,000 residents from two pro-government Shiite villages in northern Syria, Foua and Kfarya, and the rebel-held towns of Madaya and Zabadani near Damascus.

The Syrian government has denied involvement in the toxic attack and blamed rebel groups.

Civilians are being given the option to stay, but activists and doctors said it's too unsafe for medical workers to do so.

Comments