On North Korean border, Pence says USA will drop 'failed policy'

Adjust Comment Print

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visits the border village of Panmunjom which has separated the two Koreas since the Korean War, South Korea, Monday, April 17, 2017, a day after the North conducted a failed missile launch.

North Korea "answered our overtures with wilful deception, broken promises and nuclear and missile tests", he said. As the brown bomber jacket-clad vice-president was briefed near the military demarcation line, two North Korean soldiers watched from a short distance away, one taking multiple photographs of the American visitor.

"North Korea would do well not to test his resolve or the strength of the armed forces of the United States in this region, " Pence said.

Pence's visit to South Korea comes as the country prepares for an election next month following the ouster of President Park Geun-hye. Lu said Beijing wants to resume the multi-party negotiations that ended in stalemate in 2009 and suggested that US plans to deploy a missile defense system in South Korea were damaging its relations with China.

Later, the Bush administration tried global pressure with the so-called "six party talks", but those failed too, and North Korea launched its first nuclear test in 2006. Pence visited a military base near the Demilitarized Zone, a. But Pence expressed impatience with the unwillingness of the regime to move toward ridding itself of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

He added that "we need to apply pressure on North Korea so they seriously respond to a dialogue" with the worldwide community, urging China and Russian Federation to play more constructive roles on the issue.

"The missile blew up nearly immediately", the US Defense Department said of the early morning launch which was also detected by the South Korean military.

And the president has made clear that he will not accept the United States and its allies and partners in the region being under threat from this hostile regime with nuclear weapons.

In his ABC interview, McMaster spoke from Afghanistan, where he arrived Saturday to assess the request of Army Gen. John Nicholson, for thousands more USA troops to combat the Taliban and the ISIS offshoot called Islamic State-Khorasan Province.

Along with the deployment of the Naval aircraft carrier and other vessels into waters off the Korean Peninsula, thousands of USA and South Korean troops, tanks and other weaponry were also deployed last month in their biggest-ever joint military exercises.

Donald Trump Defends Reversal On Whether To Call China A Currency Manipulator
He anticipated that the meeting would be a "very hard one" because of China's large trade deficit and its impact on USA jobs. The provisions of the act provide the United States government with monitoring tools to address "unfair" currency practices.

McMaster cited Trump's recent decision to order missile strikes in Syria after a chemical attack blamed on the Assad government, as a sign that the president "is clearly comfortable making tough decisions". "Our hope is that we can resolve this issue peaceably", Pence said in an exclusive interview at the DMZ.

The plan has been controversial in South Korea, with some anxious that it would make the South more of a target for North Korean missiles, and others concerned about the economic revenge being exacted by China.

McMaster said on ABC's "This Week" program that the USA was working with regional allies and China to "undertake all actions we can, short of a military option, to try to resolve this peacefully".

He said the National Security Council is working with the Pentagon and the State Department, and intelligence agencies are working on providing options "and have them ready" for President Donald Trump "if this pattern of destabilizing behavior continues".

After a two-month policy review, officials settled on a policy dubbed "maximum pressure and engagement", US officials said Friday.

The concerns were exacerbated after a North Korean missile exploded during launch on Sunday, U.S. and South Korean officials said.

Trump's national security adviser, HR McMaster, indicated on Sunday that Trump was not considering military action against North Korea for now, even as a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier strike group was heading for the region.

The US, which stations 28,500 troops in South Korea, would "defeat any attack and we will meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective response". His visit came a day after North Korea held a military parade in its capital, Pyongyang, marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of founding father Kim Il Sung.

China banned imports of North Korean coal on February 26, cutting off its most important export.

Comments