The Global Times, an English-language Chinese newspaper that does not necessarily reflect official policy, recommended that Beijing convey a clear message to Pyongyang: that if it conducts a sixth nuclear test, the Chinese government would support stiffer United Nations sanctions to cut off "the vast majority" of its oil supplies to North Korea.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence arrived in South Korea on Sunday to begin a 10-day trip to Asia that comes amid turmoil on the Korean Peninsula over North Korea's threats to advance its nuclear and defense capabilities, and just after a failed missile launch by the North.
Speaking in parliament Monday morning, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe warned North Korea to refrain from any further provocations.
While the North did not conduct a nuclear test, the spectre of a potential escalated United States response accompanied Mr Pence as he began a 10-day trip to Asia.
"The missile blew up nearly immediately", the US Defense Department said of the early-morning launch from the North's east coast.
Trump has been leaning on China to put pressure on North Korea, but has also threatened to take on the country alone if necessary.
The status of the North Korean underground nuclear test program is unchanged, a senior U.S. defense official told CNN, and a test could come at any time.
After visiting the DMZ, Pence is expected to hold talks with South Korea's Acting President Hwang Kyo-Ahn in Seoul.
Pence said Monday Trump was "very hopeful that China will take actions to bring about a change of policy in North Korea".
Washington knew Pyongyang would test another ballistic missile
He also said his country was ready for war with the us and that it was also capable of a pre-emptive strike of its own. Despite warnings from multiple countries, North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un authorized a nuclear test this weekend.
The White House believes that Sunday's test involved a medium-range ballistic missile that failed within 4-5 seconds after launch, and that it did not involve an intercontinental ballistic missile, the foreign policy adviser said.
Having blasted Beijing throughout his presidential campaign for unfairly manipulating its currency, he tweeted on Sunday: "Why would I call China a currency manipulator when they are working with us on the North Korean problem?"
The regime followed that - according to US and South Korean officials - with an attempted missile test Sunday from the eastern port of Sinpo.
On Friday, the White House said during an official briefing, "The Vice President is going to underscore intent - we're going to continue to consult with the Republic of Korea on North Korea's efforts to advance its ballistic missile and its nuclear program". While interest in North Korea spikes immediately after a missile launch, within hours internet search traffic is again dominated by TV comedy shows, taxes and real estate. Last week he said in an interview, "They're not currency manipulators".
The launch of what appeared to be a medium-range missile came as the USA nuclear-powered USS Carl Vinson aircraft-carrier strike group approaches the Korean Peninsula in a show of force. Former military leader Colonel General Kim Yong-bok is reportedly leading the specially trained personnel, who are seen as the North's answer Seoul and US' special forces. That led North Korea to issue routine threats of attacks on its rivals if they show signs of aggression.
The latest missile launch came a day after a defiant North Korea staged a massive military parade in Pyongyang, showcasing almost 60 missiles-including a suspected new intercontinental ballistic missile. Recent satellite imagery suggests the country could conduct another underground nuclear test at any time.
North Korea watchers remained on high alert, as leader Kim Jong-un was reportedly poised to conduct a sixth nuclear test.
North Korea has conducted five nuclear tests, including two a year ago.



Comments