Canada hosted the 2015 women's World Cup.
If FIFA is satisfied with the proposal then the tournament would be awarded straight to the US -led bid, potentially avoiding the recriminations that have dogged FIFA since the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were controversially awarded to Russian Federation and Qatar respectively.
Gulati said the initial plan was for 60 of the 80 World Cup games to be played in the U.S., with Canada and Mexico hosting 10 each.
In January, FIFA announced it would expand the World Cup from 32 to 48 teams starting in 2026.
Al Jazeera's Gabriel Elizondo, reporting from NY, said: "While the decision isn't expected for another three years, this joint bid is a clear front runner also because there appears to be no challengers".
U.S. soccer officials had been publicly coy about the possibility of a future World Cup bid since the country lost out to Qatar in the battle for the 2022 tournament at a corruption-tarnished vote in Zurich in 2010.
"We announce our bid to bring the World Cup back to the United States, to Canada and Mexico in 2026", US Soccer president Sunil Gulati told a news conference in the 102nd floor observatory of the World Trade Center in New York City.
Elon Musk releases details on Tesla pickup truck, convertible, and semi
Its shares climbed as much as 3.6 percent and traded at $304.54 as of 3:23 p.m.in NY , valuing the company at about $49.7 billion. At present, five of Musk's six board members have close business and personal relationships with the company's chief executive.
Sunil Gulati, US Soccer Federation chief, who announced the bid in NY with his Canadian and Mexican counterparts on Monday, insisted they had the full backing of President Donald Trump, despite the US leader's rocky relations with Mexico.
That campaign captured the imagination of United States sports fans, with huge crowds attending public screenings of games at cities across the country. All matches from the quarter-finals onwards would be in the USA which hosted in 1994.
The country's club game is also booming, with record numbers attending Major League Soccer games in 2016.
The 2026 World Cup will be the first in an expanded format.
The Mexican national team has played over twice as many matches in the United States since the turn of the last century as it has in Mexico.
The proposal calls for the North American neighbors to be given a clear run without rival candidates until next year, and is item 14.1 on the congress agenda that Federation Internationale de Football Association published Tuesday. "The thought of building sports facilities that don't have a long-term use is not particularly inviting for anyone".




Comments