Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez cleared of 2012 double murder

Adjust Comment Print

After the shooting, Bradley sped away from the scene and he and Hernandez agreed to keep their mouths shut about the killings, Bradley said.

The former Patriots tight end was emotional upon learning of the verdict, as can be seen in the clip below.

Sullivan says Hernandez had nothing to do with it. "These were two good young men whose lives were ruthlessly and senselessly taken".

And the flashy litigator, who previously won an acquittal for Casey Anthony in a child murder case in Florida that garnered national headlines, insisted that Bradley shot the victims over a drug deal. Defense attorney Ronald Sullivan Jr. remarked that the only thing that Aaron Hernandez was guilty of was hanging out "with a very bad guy in Alexander Bradley". The judge added four to five years onto Hernandez's prison sentence for that charge, separate from his existing life sentence. The two men were gunned down in their auto while sitting at a Boston stop light in 2012.

Though Friday's verdict has no impact on that conviction, the Associated Press reports that emotions still ran high in the Boston courtroom. "Unable to let such a sign of disrespect go, the Commonwealth argued that Hernandez later hunted de Abreu and his party down at closing time and ordered Bradley to drive up on their auto".

Prosecutors say the former New England Patriots tight end opened fire on the men's vehicle in 2012 because he felt disrespected when one of them bumped into him and spilled his drink at a Boston nightclub.

Iran's Former President Has Registered To Run For Office Again
Earlier this week, President Rouhani held a press conference where he skirted questions about his plans to run for a second term. Mr Ahmadinejad's eight years in office saw a tightening of global sanctions on the Islamic Republic to curb its nuclear program.

In closing statements, prosecutors presented Hernandez as a cold-blooded killer who committed an act of "senseless violence" by firing into a packed auto.

"You know who the killer is", prosecutor Patrick Haggan told the jury during closing arguments.

Hernandez is serving a life sentence in another case. In that sense, the case essentially turned into two men saying the other pulled the trigger. Someone opened fire and shot them to death.

Former US footballer Aaron Hernandez has been acquitted of a drive-by double murder that prosecutors said began over an argument about a spilled drink.

A visibly emotional Hernandez teared up and embraced his attorneys as the verdict was read. A few moments later, he looked back at his fiancee and nodded somberly as relatives of the victims sobbed loudly.

The only charge Hernandez was found guilty on by this jury was unlawful gun possession and was sentenced to 4-5 years in state prsion for that.

Comments