"Canada, the US and Mexico are aiming for a joint bid", he said.
And who knows, nine years from now some of these teens might be back in town repping their countries at the World Cup, as long as Federation Internationale de Football Association is wowed enough by the Trans-American bid to let the lovely game have its biggest showdown right here. Mexico hosted twice, in 1970 and 1986.
In that situation, our best guess is that eight of the groups will have their games played entirely in the United States, while four each would play their games in Mexico and Canada.
"We could host the tournament on our own", United States Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said. But it seems likely that teams will be grouped into 16 groups of three teams each.
"Before this conference is over we will sign a memorandum of understanding between the three of our countries, signifying we will bid together". The quota of finalists for CONCACAF, the North and Central American and Caribbean region, will double to at least six under the new format.
The tournament time period will remain at 32 days.
Gulati didn't directly mention President Donald Trump in that particular remark, but the impact of the policies of the fledging administration on a World Cup bid involving feuding neighbors was a constant theme during the event atop the Freedom Tower in lower Manhattan.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino said last month than "any team, including the supporters and officials. who qualify for a World Cup need to have access to the country, otherwise there is no World Cup". Trump "is especially pleased that Mexico is a part of this bid", Gulati said.
Of potential concern to other soccer federations is how many automatic bids would be awarded to the three-way host.
Delta experiences cancellations, long lines at Charlotte Douglas Airport
Delta canceled almost 3,000 flights this week for weather related issues. Delta travelers whose flights are canceled can get a refund. This is published unedited from the PTI feed .
After a few moments, Lalas took control of things and started talking about growing up in MI and playing soccer when the USA won the hosting rights for the 1994 World Cup and how much it meant to him.
But the good news for Canada, which has qualified just once for the men's World Cup - in 1986, when host Mexico was out of the CONCACAF qualifying picture - is the push to maintain the tradition of having the tournament host (s) automatically qualify.
"As such we are filled with pride and committed to make it the best ever". Those issues caused problems for the only jointly hosted World Cup in history, with Japan and South Korea in 2002, and this adds another country. The chiefs of the three countries' national soccer organizations broke the news in New York City on Monday, announcing their joint bid to host the 2026 men's World Cup.
The entirety of Fifa's congress decided on World Cup hosts until 1982, when the power was entrusted to the organisation's executive committee of about two dozen members.
"We look forward to continuing our successful collaboration with fellow CONCACAF member associations US Soccer and the Mexican Football Federation under the FIFA Council principles for joint bids and to continue our tradition of hosting record-breaking worldwide events".
Last year, the United States staged the Copa América Centenario.
After losing a bid to host the 2022 tournament, the United States still considered being a sole bidder for the 2026 tournament, but inevitably agreed to the mega-bid. A World Cup in the region could be lucrative for all three FAs involved, and with the two bigger players agreeing to smile and grin rather than run the risk of letting it go to votes between them and seeing how it falls, it makes sure both get a piece of the pie.
FIFA's decision on 2026 is still more than three years away but as of now, it is clear that a joint bid by the USA, Canada, and Mexico is looking very likely.





Comments