An Air Force general says she is extremely confident the United States could intercept a ballistic missile fired by North Korea.
The South Korean military said the missile was sacked from land near the east coast city of Sinpo and flew only about 60 kilometers (40 miles).
The isolated regime conducted 24 ballistic missile tests during 2016, and experts say it could have a nuclear-tipped missile capable of reaching the USA mainland within a few years.
The test comes ahead of a meeting this week between President Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping. A country split into two has seen two sides of Korea, North and South separated for over half a century.
"Pyongyang's evolving ballistic missile and nuclear weapons program underscore the growing threat", Hyten said. "We have no further comment", he said in a statement.
The news of the successful test came a day after North Korea test-launched another mid-range ballistic missile into the East Sea.
In a phone call with Trump, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the two leaders had agreed that North Korea's latest ballistic missile launch was "a risky provocation and a serious threat".
South Korea's presidential office said the standing committee of its National Security Council will be convened.
The United States began shipping components of an anti-missile system, called Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, to South Korea last month. Most recently, it failed in its attempt to launch a missile from near Wonsan on its east coast on March 22.
My Future is Tied to Arsene Wenger's, Says Mesut Ozil
Inside my career I've consistently made decisions not only due to teams but supervisors, also. "I'm very happy", he added. Mesut Ozil has encouraged Arsenal to reinforce their squad when they would like to challenge for important titles.
In 2012, South Korea struck a deal with its ally the U.S.to extend the range of its ballistic missiles to 800 km, more than double the previous 300 km, amid the North's saber-rattling.
And now, experts agree, North Korea is closing in on the ability to hit the United States with a missile, a goal that for decades has been the subject of Pyongyang's vivid propaganda posters. It did not pose a threat to North America, Pacific Command said.
"I've joked before that they don't mind being hated but they definitely hate to be ignored", he said.
Recent satellite imagery shows possible preparations for a test at North Korea's main nuclear test site, including the laying of communication cables used to initiate a test and collect data.
South Korea's Foreign Ministry called the North's latest missile launch a "reckless provocation" that posed a threat to worldwide peace, while Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the country lodged a strong protest over the launch.
The firing was made as South Korean and US troops were conducting annual military drills that the North views as an invasion rehearsal.
The US Pacific Command said it detected and tracked what it assessed as a North Korean missile launched from land near the eastern city of Sinpo.
Trump has repeatedly said he wants China to do more to exert its economic influence over its unpredictable ally in Pyongyang to restrain its nuclear and missile programmes but China denies it has any overriding influence on North Korea. The KN-15 missile tested in February flew about 500 kilometers (310 miles).




Comments