Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather will fight August 26 in Las Vegas

Adjust Comment Print

Earlier Wednesday, the Nevada State Athletic Commission approved a request by Mayweather Promotions to hold a boxing event in Las Vegas on August 26.

The 73-day promotion should feature some of the finest trash-talking exchanges combat sports has seen. McGregor is set to pull down tens of millions of dollars for the bout.

According to UFC President Dana White, the answer is - so far, and for now - yes.

"I don't know how many people feel that way", White said. "That will not happen". And No. 2, this is a boxing match under the Nevada State Athletic Commission, under the rules of boxing.

"A lot of things make this fight intriguing but the reality is this: Anybody who has ever seen Floyd Mayweather, he's this big [gesturing at the American's small size]". He has boxing training, but has never faced anyone with the speed of Mayweather.

More Cosby deposition read into court record
A lawyer responds: "Is that what you said?" Cosby, then in his 60s, sat on the university's board of trustees. In that civil case, Bill Cosby paid an undisclosed amount to Andrea Constand in exchange for her silence.

Holm expects more cross-over challenges - between UFC fighters and professional boxers - in the future. Mayweather, at the age of 40, will also be the much older competitor in this bout against a 28 year-old McGregor in his prime.

The Mayweather-Pacquiao fight was built up for nearly five years, and their highly anticipated fight finally became a reality in 2015, setting the a new mark in combat sports with around 4.5 million pay-per-view buys and a gate of $72 million.

Mayweather's pay-per-view record eclipsed the previous best for his title fight against Oscar de la Hoya in 2007, which pulled in 2.48m.

Carl Frampton has said Conor McGregor will do well to lay a glove on Floyd Mayweather in their Las Vegas superfight, but Donegal middleweight Jason Quigley has predicted the Dubliner will knock his opponent "out cold". It would be a joke, it would be an embarrassment for boxing if an MMA fighter were to go into the ring, it would be a no contest. Now the Vegas odds for the fight stands at -1100 Mayweather, +700 McGregor.

McGregor and his coaches are coming in with high confidence though, and a gameplan that involves throwing out the conventional strategy used to fight Mayweather and delving into boxing history for a different, more rough house style of fighting.

Comments