Otto Warmbier, the 22-year-old University of Virginia student, returned to his OH home in a coma earlier this week after spending 17 months in the North on charges of stealing a political propaganda poster.
The father also accused North Korea of luring Americans to the country with a Chinese touring company, making the false promise that visitors with their tours would never be detained.
In its first official comment since Warmbier was returned home, North Korea said it released him for humanitarian reasons.
His father, Mr Fred Warmbier said at the news conference his son was "brutalised and terrorised" by the North Korean regime.
Warmbier's family said they were told by North Korean officials, through contacts with American envoys, that Warmbier fell ill from botulism some time after his trial and lapsed into a coma after taking a sleeping pill, the Washington Post reported. But we're tremendously proud of him.
Among the battery of tests Otto Warmbier underwent at UC Health: a brain scan which showed "extensive loss of brain tissue" in all areas of the brain.
Warmbier said his son, who was in stable condition according to the OH hospital where he was transferred, was subjected to brutal treatment. Pyongyang has also vowed to develop a nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting the USA mainland.
"We don't believe anything they (North Korea) say", said Fred Warmbier, who was wearing a sport coat Otto Warmbier had worn during a broadcast confession of his crimes previous year in North Korea.
"I call on them to release the other Americans being held", he said.
Twitter briefly suspends Al-Jazeera Arabic amid Qatar rift
It also sent several planeloads of food to Qatar earlier this month after the Gulf countries cut off air links with Doha . Erdogan told Portugese television this week he had approached Saudi about building a base in the kingdom.
Alison Lebrun, center background, helps tie blue-and-white awareness ribbons along Springfield Pike near the family home of Otto Warmbier, June 13, 2017.Denise Koesterman ties blue-and-white awareness ribbons along Springfield Pike near the family home of Otto Warmbier, June 13, 2017.
Warmbier, a University of Virginia student, was detained on January 2, 2016, at Pyongyang International Airport, while visiting the country as a tourist with Young Pioneer Tours.
He was last seen publicly that March, when he was sentenced for subversion to 15 years in prison with hard labour.
Fred Warmbier said that he doesn't know why North Korea released his son but that the country doesn't do anything out of "the kindness of their hearts".
"There's no excuse for the way the North Koreans treated our son and no excuse for the way they have treated so many others".
Diplomat Dennis Rodman, who is now in North Korea, declined to comment Tuesday on Warmbier's condition or that of three other Americans still being detained.
His father criticized the Obama administration on Thursday for the handling of his son's imprisonment. (Reuters) "We've been we've been brutalized for the last 18 months with misinformation, no information", "Do I think the past administration could have done more?"
"Now we know why they wouldn't allow consular access", he said.
But it emerged as he traveled back home that Warmbier, a University of Virginia student, was in a coma.




Comments