Grenfell Tower: death toll rises to 17 after London fire

Adjust Comment Print

British Prime Minister Theresa May on Thursday ordered a full public inquiry into the Grenfell Tower fire that claimed the lives of 17 people so far.

The fire has been burning for more than three hours and stretches from the second to the 27th floor of the Grenfell Tower in the North Kensington area.

The tragedy at Grenfell Tower has prompted calls for all residential tower blocks in Britain to be fitted with sprinkler systems and for an investigation into whether refurbishments of older blocks could have compromised fire safety.

"She was with a group of people in the fire escape, in the fire stairs, they live on the 20th floor", said Ms Ruiz. Thirty-seven were still hospitalized on Thursday, with 17 in critical condition.

The Prime Minister made a private visit to speak to the police officers and firefighters dealing with the aftermath of the blaze, but was not seen speaking to any of the families or residents affected.

Jeremy Corbyn has said the "truth has got to come out and it will" after the Grenfell Tower fire.

Mr Maughan, 26, from Tottenham, came to the scene to help a friend who was evacuated from the 24-storey building which was devastated by a huge fire in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Witnesses described hearing screams for help from people trapped on the upper floors of the block as flames engulfed the building, which contains 120 flats thought to be home to between 400 and 600 people.

The partial collapse of Ronan Point Tower in east London in 1968 led to an overhaul of building regulations. But the focus has turned to renovations completed previous year that added decorative touches to the building.

Final arguments set in trial of Minnesota cop charged in fatal shooting
The mother of a black man fatally shot by a Minnesota police officer last July says her son shouldn't have died the way he did. Yanez, 29, testified Friday that he clearly saw Castile's gun and that Castile disregarded his commands not to pull it out.

The building had recently undergone an 8.7 million pound ($11.08 million) exterior refurbishment, which included new external cladding and windows.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) sent more than 200 firefighters to the scene yesterday, after it received reports of a fire at 12.54am on Wednesday morning.

The government department in charge of regulating building work - the Department for Communities and Local Government - did not respond to Reuters' questions, including whether such fire barriers were required by law. "I've never seen nothing like it".

Cladding was added during the recent renovations.

Residents had previously complained to the Kensington and Chelsea Tower Management Organisation (KCTMO), which runs the tower, about the building's vulnerability to fire.

Laminated signs bearing the phone number for a missing persons hotline are tied to the fence.

By Thursday, community centers had been so overwhelmed by food and clothing donations that they started turning away new donations.

"Praying for auntie", one message read.

Police say the rescue operations could take weeks.

Comments