Six confirmed deaths as 'unprecedented' blaze engulfs tower block

Adjust Comment Print

The 24-storey block of flats in North Kensington was engulfed in flames and forced some residents to jump out of windows, while others were trapped.

Hundreds of residents were caught up in the flames at the 24-storey Grenfell Tower with eyewitnesses describing some as trapped and screaming for help, with others jumping from upper floors.

More than 200 firefighters, backed up by 40 fire engines, fought for hours to try to bring the blaze, one of the biggest seen in central London in recent years, under control.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said at 9:40am London time that firefighters had been able to access all floors for the first time, the Evening Standard reports.

"It's a major fire that has affected every floor from the second floor upwards".

"My thoughts are with the residents, their families, and people waiting for news of loved ones", he said. "The smoke alarms weren't going off but the way it spread so quickly from the fourth floor, all the way up to the 23rd floor was scary".

The burnt facade of a tower block is seen as firefighters tackle a serious fire at Latimer Road in West London, Britain June 14, 2017.

Police confirmed that a number of people were being "treated for a range of injuries", while the London Ambulance service said 50 people were taken to hospital. It said the causes of the fire would be fully investigated. Police have established a wide cordon amid fears the building might collapse.

Texas Rep. Joe Barton At Virginia Shooting With Son
If 26 children and teachers dead in Sandy Hook doesn't move this institution, I'm not sure anything will", Himes said. A spokeswoman for Ross said the representative did not attend practice this morning and was doing fine.

These are the harrowing screams of children and their parents trapped in the Grenfell Tower after a fire tore through the flats.

"I ran outside and then looked up and it was just ablaze".

She said one resident attempted to use a "homemade parachute" to lower himself out of a window. Some of the residents were telling me that the police were telling them to go back into the homes and just put blankets and towels at the bottom of the door - some did and didn't come back out.

Matt Wrack of the Fire Brigades Union said something had clearly gone badly wrong with fire prevention procedures at the building built in 1974.

Witnesses said they saw a woman hold her baby out a window as fire and smoke surrounded her.

Fire crews are searching the tower and Mr Cundy added: "I do anticipate that there may be people within that building that are as yet unaccounted for".

The local Grenfell Action Grouphad claimed, before and during the refurbishment, that the block constituted a fire risk and residents had warned that access to the site for emergency vehicles was "severely restricted".

The local council of Kensington and Chelsea, which owns the block, said it was focusing on supporting the rescue and relief operation.

Comments