New search underway near home of London Bridge terrorists

Adjust Comment Print

The parents lived for a time in Morocco before separating when the mother returned to Italy and re-established herself in Bologna.

Zaghba was reportedly working in a London restaurant and had not been seen in Italy since 2016. Italian officials said suspicions about him had been shared with British authorities. Police did not elaborate on how she was killed.

People queue to lay flowers after a vigil for victims of Saturday's attack in London Bridge, at Potter's Field Park in London, Monday, June 5, 2017.

The family of Boden, 28, from South Australia, confirmed her death on Tuesday.

The third attacker was named as Youssef Zaghba, an Italian national of Moroccan descent, who was living in east London. He and Butt lived in the same area of east London.

"However, there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritized accordingly", police said.

The police had on Monday night named Butt and Rachi Redouane as two of the three attackers who were responsible for killing seven people and injuring almost 50 others at London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night.

In March, five people died in an attack on London's Westminster Bridge.

Speaking to those gathered, Mayor Sadiq Khan decried the attackers, saying: "You will not win. They are particularly keen to hear about places they may have frequented and their movements in the days and hours before the attacks".

Counter-terrorism chiefs and MI5 are already facing harsh criticism for their monitoring of one of Zaghba's co-offenders, Shazad Butt, who they had been warned about twice before Saturday's terror attack that claimed seven lives.

The latest attack comes against the backdrop of parliamentary elections later in the week.

Transport for London has confirmed that Butt worked as trainee customer services assistant for six months a year ago.

If confirmed, Thomas would be the eighth person killed in the vehicle and knife attack.

Home Secretary holds on to her seat with reduced majority after recount
Labour invested heavily in their candidate Peter Chowney and the Greens agreed not to field a candidate in a bid to oust Ms Rudd. Ms Rudd - first elected as an MP in 2010 - had looked as if she would be the first Cabinet minister to lose out. "John I'm...

It's thought that the 45-year-old Frenchman was thrown into the river during the terror attack.

The friend described seeing Echeverria for the last time lying on the floor after confronting one of the assailants.

She assured her family back in New Zealand she was safely tucked up in bed but also told them the terror assault would not deter her enjoyment of life in London.

He said authorities had not shared any information with them.

"A small number of the highest priority investigations involve current attack planning, and these investigations command a significant proportion of our resource", police said.

The visible police presence remains, however - as does the memory of the attack in the minds of British voters, just one day before the country undertakes its national elections.

Transport for London, which oversees the capital's transport network, has advised commuters, struggling to get to work in the driving rain, to make alternative journeys as the station will be busy. Raids were continuing at some addresses as the United Kingdom observed a minute's silence at 11am in memory of those killed.

Collina said she had spoken to Italy's anti-terrorism police a year ago after her son was prevented from travelling to the Middle East, and that they were the ones to told her on Tuesday that her son had been one of the men who carried out the attack.

London police said all 12 people held since the attack on Sunday (NZT) from the Barking neighbourhood in the east of the city, have been freed. The search in Ilford, just north of Barking, is seeking to determine whether the group had accomplices.

Butt had notably featured in a Channel 4 TV documentary entitled The Jihadis Next Door and, according to the British media, numerous people alarmed by his views had gone to the authorities.

One of the men believed to have carried out a deadly weekend attack in central London was a known radical Islamist who was filmed unfurling a black flag resembling the one used by the Islamic State group and raised the suspicion of a neighbor after allegedly trying to lure local youngsters to join his jihadist campaign.

The surveillance camera footage shows the first police auto rolling forward as the attackers lunge at a man to stab him late Saturday night.

Comments