Who was London attacker Khuram Butt?

Adjust Comment Print

Zaghba was reportedly working in a London restaurant and had not been seen in Italy since 2016. Another Australian woman, Sara Zelenak, has been reported missing since the attack.

- British authorities are anxious more extremists in the United Kingdom will try carry out attacks in the next few weeks because of ISIS' calls to surge attacks during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

He was known to police and the domestic spy agency MI5 but, with resources scarce, had not been deemed enough of a threat to warrant close monitoring, police said.

Police early Wednesday arrested a 30-year-old man in east London in connection to the attack and are searching his home.

London officials said a large part of the outer cordon of the crime scene had reopened.

The Metropolitan police have defended a decision to downgrade an inquiry into Butt, saying they did not have any evidence of a plot.

Boden was among seven people killed in the Saturday night attacks.

Dr Ali Saleem, from the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland in Dublin - also known as the Clonskeagh mosque - said he had no knowledge of Redouane and had not been contacted by security services attempting to trace his movements.

The rampage followed a suicide bombing that killed 22 adults and children at a pop concert in Manchester two weeks ago, and an attack in March when five people died after a auto was driven into pedestrians on London's Westminster Bridge.

Police name 2 suspects of London Bridge attack
Volunteer your time and labor or donate to a homeless shelter. "I could tell you that I was devastated", he told Postmedia. Forty-eight people were taken to hospital and 18 are in critical condition, according to the latest police update.

Butt was among three men who rammed a van into pedestrians on London Bridge and then stabbed people in nearby Borough Market.

The friend described seeing Echeverria for the last time lying on the floor after confronting one of the assailants.

He has been criticized for voting against counter-terrorism legislation and expressing reservations about police responding to attacks with "shoot-to-kill" tactics.

Ignacio's father, Joaquin Echeverria, told The Associated Press that the family was flying to London on Tuesday to join other relatives. Spain's government says it is "deeply saddened" after receiving confirmation by British authorities that Echeverria was among the victims. The police stated that "there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly".

The nearby London Bridge station was operational though one of the exits that leads to the cordoned off area on Borough High Street remained closed.

The announcement came amid more raids and arrests following the Saturday night rampage - even as officials faced questions about how intelligence services apparently lost track of at least two suspects before the attack.

A minute's silence was observed in Britain at 1000 GMT in memory of those killed during the attack.

The two main candidates for prime minister - the incumbent, May, and the challenger, Jeremy Corbyn - traded barbs Tuesday over how security services can better protect the public after three mass-casualty attacks in Britain in as many months. The search in Ilford, just north of Barking, is seeking to determine whether the group had accomplices.

Butt's fellow attackers were Rachid Redouane, 30, a Moroccan-Libyan pastry chef who had an Irish wife, and Youssef Zaghba, a 22-year-old Italian national of Moroccan descent who was on Italy's list of persons at risk after being held in 2016 while on way to Syria. Butt did not fall into that category when they last investigated him. Authorities said he aroused suspicion because he tried to board a flight to Turkey with a one-way ticket and a small backpack. Police have not released the identity of the third attacker.

Comments