Aisha Buhari visits released Chibok girls

Adjust Comment Print

After months of negotiations, 82 girls were finally released on Saturday (6 May) in exchange for five militant leaders.

Officials have revealed that the 82 girls freed by Boko Haram on Saturday after being held captive for three years are still waiting to be reunited with their families, while all the girls found last year will be heading back to school in September.

Assuring the girls, Lai Mohammed said: "What is paramount to us is the release of the remaining girls".

She said allowing unnecessary visits would jeopardise the release of the remaining girls and other captives.

Thousands of women and young girls have been abducted in the eight-year insurgency, which has left at least 20,000 people dead and displaced more than 2.6 million.

As Nigerians continue to celebrate the release of the 82 Chibok girls, some groups have hailed the president Muhammadu Buhari-led government and the Nigerian military authority.

Aisha Jummai Alhassan, the minister of women affairs, told reporters on Thursday that photographs of the girls had been sent to families in Chibok for identification.

Former Real Madrid defender: Zidane already a great coach
I am the coach which means I am doing something right, but everyone in this squad is doing a phenomenal job". As I've mentioned before, I quite like how straightforward Zidane is when he talks to the press.

"We provide a range of assistance to Nigerian authorities in their efforts to combat Boko Haram and ISIS in West Africa". But Abana Ishaya said he can not travel the long distance from his home in northern Nigeria to the capital without the government's invitation and assurance that he will see her.

New revelation has emerged about the fate of some of the Chibok girls who were rescued from the grip of the deadly Boko Haram sect.

The government has been caring for 24 previously released girls and four babies, Alhassan said. Ms Alhassan said they travelled to Chibok for Christmas but upon their return to the capital said they were scared to go back to their community. They will likely begin a months-long rehabilitation program run by the government, which the 24 girls who already escaped are now undergoing.

"We have gone from a place where we were often not on the same page with Nigeria, to a place where we see things very much in the same 1'terms, " he added.

Alhassan said there was need to help the girls forget the trauma they experienced from the bush. Human rights advocates have said they fear some of the girls have been used by Boko Haram to carry out suicide bombings.

He said, "The large number of persons present at this rally today is proof that we are all elated at the joy of freedom for the latest batch of Chibok Girls to be freed from captivity".

Comments