More than 80 Chibok schoolgirls released by Boko Haram arrive in Abuja

Adjust Comment Print

When he returned home he said he had never been so ill in his life.

Minutes later, the 74-year-old Buhari startled Africa's most populous nation with the news of his departure. Buhari has left Nigeria for health checkups in London, less than two months after an extended break in the United Kingdom for medical treatment. The exact nature of his illness is still unclear. This is Buhari's second visit to London in 2017 after he returned in March after spending 51 days on medical leave. The vice president will be in charge.

The European Union High Representative, Federica Mogherini has described the release of 82 Chibok girls as a "glimmer of hope" that all the Boko Haram abductees would regain their freedom. He met with the girls at his official residence.

Boko Haram seized a total of 276 girls in the 2014 abduction.

The party hailed the girls for their bravery "having survived the very harrowing experiences in the past three years, and their parents and families who have endured the nervy and traumatic wait for their children".

The Associated Press reports five Boko Haram commanders were freed in the swap. The newly freed young women were flown by helicopters from northeastern Nigeria to Abuja in central Nigeria. Boko Haram has pledged allegiance to Islamic State, and has increasingly carried out attacks in neighboring countries.

The latest negotiations were again mediated by the Swiss government and the International Committee of the Red Cross, Nigeria's government said.

The rights group's Nigeria office also says the girls don't deserve to be put through a "publicity stunt that largely doesn't reckon with their privacy".

Check out a few tweets about the new release below.

The mass abduction brought the extremist group's rampage in northern Nigeria to world attention and began years of heartbreak for the families of the missing schoolgirls.

The released Chibok girls were due to arrive in Abuja on Sunday (yesterday).

This came even as a chieftain of the party and former vice president, Atiku Abubakar lauded the president, saying his administration's efforts at rescuing the girls are paying off.

Billionaire Moshiri to spearhead Everton’s Italian job
Indeed, it is only by virtue of Falcinelli’s prowess in the final third that Crotone still remains in contention to survive. In Romelu Lukaku, Koeman has a player with the capability of firing Everton to far headier heights than seventh place.

Aisha Yesufu of the campaign said: "It's such a good day today".

A chieftain of Progressives People's Alliance (PPA), in Enugu State, Mr Godwin Ezeemo, has lauded President Muhammadu Buhari, Red Cross and Non-Governmental Agencies for the release of 82 Chibok Girls.

"The president was delighted to receive them and he promised that all that is needed to be done to reintegrate them into the society will be done", said presidential spokesman Femi Adesina. They are expected to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari later Sunday.

The girls were handed over on Saturday in exchange for Boko Haram suspects after negotiations.

The number of Boko Haram suspects released by authorities remains unknown.

Service Chiefs and many top government officials were also at the meeting, the reporter said. "We provide transportation from Boko Haram to the Nigerian government".

"Last year, we managed to secure the release of 20 girls".

This brings to 103 the girls already freed by the Boko Haram militants.

The ICRC said it had acted as a neutral intermediary to transport the girls into Nigerian custody.

Buhari said the Presidency would personally supervise the performance of those entrusted with their welfare and commitments made by the Federal Government on their health, education, security and general well-being.

A Nigerian military official with direct knowledge of the rescue operation said the freed girls were found near the town of Banki in Borno state near Cameroon.

Comments