Alvarez to take on unbeaten Golovkin

Adjust Comment Print

Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. will be putting his name and legacy on the line on May 6.

"I expect this to be a really exciting fight", said ESPN boxing expert Dan Rafael. They later showed a promotional video for the fight. A fight with Gennady "GGG" Golovkin on September 16 is a giant step in the right direction and a major proof that he will fight anyone and take all the necessary risks to become great. "The fight is done". Chavez admitted his trainer wanted him to attack and throw more punches but apparently it diddn't work as he was simply outclassed by Alvarez, who was active even after putting up extra 10 pounds to satisfy the agreed 164.5 pounds catch weight. But in mere minutes Alvarez had the record-setting crowd of 20,510 eating out of his hand.

Golovkin, who has previously expressed strong doubt that Alvarez would fight him, said, "Everybody is excited".

Golden Boy Promotions founder Oscar De La Hoya, meanwhile, says there has been global interest in hosting the blockbuster showdown. "I've shown I can do lots of things in the ring, anything a fighter brings, I've shown I can showcase myself".

Canelo threw twice as many punches, 606 to 302, and connected on 228 to just 71 for Chavez.

The Mexican devastated Chazez with his speed, power and combination play, to leave the 31-year-old bleeding from his nose and his eye was swollen shut.

France's Le Pen says far-right National Front to be relaunched
Shortly after the first projections were published, Le Pen, 48, said she had congratulated Macron. The museum itself was not evacuated, and tourists continued entering and leaving.

There is high expectation in the Chavez Jr camp, with his legendary father, Julio Cesar Chavez, recently commenting that this was a fight where "Julio has to show that he has my genes - that he has my balls". International Business Times also scored the fight 120-108 for Alvarez.

The fight will see Alvarez return to middleweight where he won his first title by defeating Miguel Cotto in November 2015. It was two years removed from the disappointment of Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s lopsided victory over Manny Pacquiao.

There have been plenty of barbs traded since the fight was announced. At stake will be Golovkin's WBC, IBF, WBA, and (less importantly) IBO Middleweight belts in this highly coveted matchup between two of the best boxers in the world.

'Good luck in September, ' said Golovkin.

Golovkin is a flawless 37-0 in his career and last fought in March when he defeated Daniel Jacobs to retain his titles. After 12 rounds the judges decision went in favor of Alvarez.

"This is the biggest fight in boxing", Golovkin said. "It is an fantastic fight for everybody". Alvarez, who grew up in poverty and whose lone loss came to Mayweather, said Chavez has been pampered and has "embarrassed the sport with his lack of discipline". "We negotiated back and forth several times". Boxing is back, bigger and better than ever.

Comments