Stockholm terror suspect admits lorry attack

Adjust Comment Print

Akilov was arrested several hours after the a lorry rammed into a crowd of people in central Stockholm on Friday killing four persons and wounding several others in central Stockholm on Friday, which is few meters away from Indian Embassy.

Deputy chief prosecutor Hans Ihrman refused to comment on the suspect's motive, while Akilov's lawyer Johan Eriksson would only say that his client had told police why he committed the attack.

The truck used in the attack was owned by beer company that said it was hijacked during a delivery.

Appearing in the heavily guarded Stockholm District Court wearing a thick green hoodie and holding his head down, Akilov was known to have shown interest in jihadist organisations according to the police. Two Swedes, a British man and a Belgian woman were killed in the attack. National police Commissioner Dan Eliasson said "there was nothing in the system that indicated (he) would do something like he did on Friday".

He had gone underground after his application for Swedish residency was rejected a year ago, police said.

While Sweden's prime minister assured families of the victims on Monday that they were not alone, Matilda Hector, a Christian journalist in the Scandinavian country told Premier churches have been praying for the safety of the nation and the victims' families during Sunday church services.

Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+ now in India, pre-order on Flipkart
Another very important reason for the Galaxy S8 and S8+ being good than iPhone 7 Plus is the fast and wireless battery charging. Starting with the display, both the phones have some extra real estate by reducing the size of bezels at both top and bottom.

A number of people were killed when a truck was driven into a department store in Sweden's capital, Stockholm.

He had been denied residency in Sweden and had expressed sympathy for so-called Islamic State, according to police.

"I said just a week before that it's just a matter of time before it is going to pop up in Sweden", he told the Associated Press.

Police said a second man arrested over the attack would face no charges but is set to be deported. Two of them remain in a critical condition in hospital.

Police are continuing their investigation into the main suspect, identified as a 39-year-old Uzbek who went underground when he received a deportation order after his permanent residency application was rejected last year. "I asked a lady, she said that a truck has hit people and is running people down and then there was a lot of chaos".

The AP reports that 163,000 asylum-seekers arrived in Sweden in 2015, the highest per capita rate in Europe.

Comments