Egypt Declares State of Emergency After Church Blasts

Adjust Comment Print

El-Sissi's call for a three-month state of emergency has been approved by Egypt's cabinet and will come into effect across the country on Monday at 1pm.

The first blast occurred in the Mar Girgis Coptic Church in Tanta, killing at least 27 people while the second blast occurred several hours later in Saint Mark's Cathedral in Alexandria, leaving 17 dead.

The government in its initial response ordered the military special forces to assist police in securing vital state facilities across the country.

ISIS, on the other hand, issued a statement via the Telegram messaging platform and said the suicide bombers behind the Palm Sunday attacks were Egyptian nationals.

The attacks came two months after the Islamic State released a video showing its militants pledging to kill Coptic Christians across Egypt.

The terror group had previously claimed responsibility for the attack that targeted St. Peter and St. Paul's Church in Cairo in December 2016 which claimed lives of dozens of people.

"Those responsible for these reprehensible acts must be brought to justice", the Ministry stated.

On April 9, two blasts rocked two different churches in two different cities of Egypt.

Speaking on Monday in Berlin, Seibert said "the Coptic minority doesn't just need the protection of security forces, but also the solidarity and goodwill of the Muslim majority".

Sunday's bombings marked the latest Islamic State attacks against Egyptian Christians.

What Is the Nuclear Option?
But despite the opposition to Gorsuch, his confirmation was never seriously in doubt and he flew remarkably under the radar. This issue is a favorite of conservatives and Gorsuch's beliefs align with those of Scalia and Justice Clarence Thomas.

"We have to pay attention because of Egypt and Egypt's future".

"A group of Daesh sympathizers were hiding in one of Assiut province's mountainous areas", the statement read. "The security was right at the door, but the attacker managed to get in anyway".

CCTV footage showed a man with a blue jumper draped over his shoulders approach the main gate to the Alexandria church, however he was directed towards a metal detector by a security guard.

Mourners filled one of the churches in Egypt bombed during Sunday morning hymns for the funeral of victims of a pair of attacks that killed at least 44.

Pope Tawadros II had held Palm Sunday services at the cathedral, but his aides said he had escaped unharmed.

Steffen Seibert told reporters that it was important to preserve the peaceful coexistence of Muslims and Coptic Christians in Egypt.

"Terrorism hits Egypt again, this time on Palm Sunday", he tweeted.

El-Sisi also accused unnamed countries of fueling instability in the country, adding "Egyptians have foiled plots and efforts by countries and fascist, terrorist organizations that tried to control Egypt".

"It seems this is going to be their game plan - to attack Christians during their holidays, " Ghabour said.

Comments