Stockholm attack: Uzbek man held on suspicion of terrorism

Adjust Comment Print

Swedish police say they have arrested a man who is "likely" the driver of the beer truck which plowed into a group of pedestrians and store, killing four.

The 39-year-old man was due to be expelled from Sweden, reports the country's best-selling newspaper AftonBladet.

"I saw the driver, a man in black who was light around the face", Sekitto told Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter.

Anders Thornberg, head of the Swedish Security Service, said security services were working with other nations' security agencies to investigate the attack, but declined to elaborate.

In 2014, the suspect had applied for residency but it was rejected in December previous year, another police spokesman, Jan Evensson, told reporters.

"We know that he showed interest for extremist organizations like the 'Islamic State, '" said Swedish police chief Jonas Hysing.

Killed in the attack were two Swedes, one Brit and one Belgian.

According to the Washington Post, Friday's attack marks the "first major apparent terrorist strike in Stockholm".

The shop - which caught fire when a beer lorry smashed into its entrance during Friday's terrorist attack - sent an email to all customers saying it would "begin a sale of smoke-damaged products".

Police also said they found a suspicious device in the passenger seat of the vehicle, though they would not confirm whether or not the device was some kind of bomb, as has been reported in the Swedish media.

Erdogan rejects voter fraud claims as victory grants him sweeping powers
However, Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek told Reuters there was no such plan, and the elections would still be held in 2019. It will also theoretically allow Mr Erdogan, who has dominated Turkish politics since 2003, to stay in office until 2029.

Last month, in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group, a man drove into a crowd on London's Westminster Bridge, killing three people and injuring many others before stabbing a policeman to death.

Police in Stockholm on Saturday.

City officials have had to relocate thousands of flowers left at a makeshift memorial for the dead, after an aluminium fence outside the targeted Ahlens department store was overwhelmed with tributes and threatened to collapse.

He said he stayed in the bus a bit longer, before taking shelter in a clothing store on Kungsgatan.

Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc on April 8 sent a message of condolences to his Swedish counterpart Stefan Lofven over a recent truck attack in downtown Stockholm capital.

Six people were taken into custody for interrogation on between Saturday and Sunday in several areas across Stockholm, police said, without adding further details.

Ten of those injured were still being treated in hospital, with two people in intensive care and another two in a serious condition.

A Swedish police spokesman told a press conference: "All four deceased are now identified and family to the deceased are notified".

Stockholm was returning to normal yesterday, with police barricades taken down along Drottninggatan Street, where the attack took place.

"This is unfortunately something we are seeing in many countries in the world, but we have to stand up for our open society", Lovin told reporters.

Comments