The week-long protests, which show no signs of abating, were triggered by the Supreme Court's decision to gut the opposition-controlled legislature of its last vestiges of power, a move that was later reversed amid widespread worldwide condemnation and even dissent within Maduro's normally disciplined socialist leadership.
On Friday, two-time presidential candidate Henrique Capriles was barred from running for public office for 15 years amid an intense campaign waged by the government tying him to the protest movement that has grown into the most combative since a wave of unrest in 2014. Protesters lobbed rocks and petrol bombs and burned rubbish in the street.
Violence erupted for a third straight day on Thursday at protests against Maduro, leaving one demonstrator dead. The action was quickly overturned, but the global outcry it sparked galvanized the opposition.
A day later, the controller general's office said Capriles was disqualified from running for office again because of improper use of his state's budget on unspecified contracts, funeral expenses and for publicity.
Another pro-government leader, Freddy Bernal, alleged Capriles was inciting protests "looking for a few deaths to set the country alight".
Mr Maduro's socialist government have said that a US-backed business elite is responsible for Venezuela's economic downturn and that it is trying to organise a coup to impose right-wing rule.
Capriles on Saturday said his headquarters in Caracas had caught fire after tear gas was thrown inside.
Two people were reported injured by rubber bullets in San Cristobal, an opposition hotbed near the country's border with Colombia. In a response to the state's decision, Capriles called his supporters to participate in mass demonstrations.
5 must-see moments from the Bruins' 2-1 win over Senators
Boston is the better team, but most Sens fans still have very bad memories of the Battle of Ontario. "I feel good about our team". Playing a more well-rounded game, however, has worked well for Krug who now sits as a solidified piece in the Bruins defense.
Venezuela has been pummeled by a brutal economic crisis that has millions skipping meals, unable to afford soaring prices for basic goods and facing long lines for scarce products.
The violence was condemned by the opposition leadership, who nonetheless blame Maduro's obstinacy for fueling the unrest.
At least 17 people were treated for injuries, said Ramon Muchacho, a Caracas-area mayor where the demonstration took place.
According to the decision of the comptrollers office, as told by Capriles to the local media, he accepted donations, gave out contracts without bidding and did not submit the budget bill on his governance in 2013.
The main parties say they collected the necessary signatures to remain on the rolls, but they could still be eliminated if the council in the coming months discards significant numbers of signatures as it has in past petition drives.
President Nicolas Maduro had earlier this week while speaking in front of his Cabinet in an event televised on the government's TV network called the protesters "terrorists and vandals".
Authorities have been investigating Capriles since the beginning of the year for what they say are a half dozen administrative irregularities, including taking suspicious donations from overseas. The opposition says over 100 political activists have been jailed amid a wider crackdown on dissent.





Comments