Lewis Hamilton pushes Button for Monaco

Adjust Comment Print

With Fernando Alonso electing to skip Monaco to compete in the Indianapolis 500, McLaren has drafted in reserve driver Button to make a one-off return.

Crucially, Button will not drive the auto before FP1 in Monaco after McLaren confirmed it would be running Stoffel Vandoorne and Oliver Turvey in next week's post-race Bahrain Grand Prix test.

Button has competed in 305 grands prix - third only to Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher in the all-time list - and won 15 races.

"It's a tricky street circuit on which a good driver can really make a difference and, although the McLaren-Honda hasn't begun the season well, I think it may be more suited to Monaco than to the faster circuits that Fernando and Stoffel have raced it on so far this season".

After new broke that Alonso would miss the Monaco race earlier this week, Button tweeted: "Why do I have so many missed calls?"

The 37-year-old will drive for McLaren at the Monaco Grand Prix at the end of May after Fernando Alonso opted to race in the Indianapolis 500.

Button has been relaxing in Monaco and America since "retiring" from the sport last season, training and enjoying the good life with girlfriend Brittny Ward.

Even for a Formula One driver, the schedule involves a daunting amount of air miles in a short spell of time, but Alonso plans to use every spare minute to prepare himself for the event as best he can.

Horner reckons McLaren and the driver are "barking mad" for doing so.

Dybala brace has Barca facing exit from Champions League
Dybala told reporters: "We played a great game and we made the best of the chances we had and it is certainly a great result ahead of the return leg in Barcelona ".

"I realize we won't have a realistic chance of repeating my 2009 victory, but I think we'll have a opportunity to score world championship points", said Button, who will race alongside teammate Stoffel Vandoorne.

"I hope he'll have some great stories to bring back to us from Indianapolis", Boullier said.

And Eric Boullier, the McLaren racing director, who offered Button the one-off return in Monte Carlo, is delighted the Briton will be back in the vehicle for the sixth round of the championship.

"And it'll be nice to say "hi" to all my old Formula 1 mates too, and hopefully to give the fans something to cheer about".

"On the planes, I will try and look at some videos and races from past years and try to learn as quick as I can".

'Jenson is a class act.

He is also keen to follow in Graham Hill's footsteps and become only the second man to win the Monaco GP, the Indy500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, motor racing's Triple Crown.

"After Russia, I will try to be in Indianapolis for a couple of simulator days, hopefully test the vehicle but it's not 100 per cent sure, and after that I will go to the Spanish Grand Prix and then fly to America on Sunday after the race".

Comments