No evidence linking detained 'Islamist' suspect to Dortmund blasts: Prosecutors

Adjust Comment Print

Jurgen Klopp has spoken of his shock at watching his friends at Borussia Dortmund become the target of an explosive attack.

The Federal Prosecutor's office in Germany says there has been no evidence to link a suspect who was detained in connection to the three explosions that hit the Borussia Dortmund team bus to the attack.

However, "so far the investigation has turned up no evidence that the suspect participated in the attack", they said in a statement.

He traveled to Turkey in March 2015 and remained in contact with members of IS after arriving in Germany in early 2016, prosecutors said.

It said it was nevertheless seeking an arrest warrant for the 26-year-old Iraqi national, identified only as Abdul Beset A., for alleged ties to the Islamic State group.

"An Islamist background appears to be possible", federal prosecutor's office spokeswoman Frauke Koehler said, noting the letter demanded that Germany withdraw its deployment of Tornado reconnaissance missions in the anti-IS global coalition and close the USA air base in the western German town of Ramstein.

Authorities said three identical letters were found at the scene of Tuesday night's attack targeting one of Europe's top football teams.

Dortmund's Nuri Sahin, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Lukasz Piszczek, Matthias Ginter and Julian Weigl, from left, react after losing 2-3 during the Champions League quarterfinal first leg soccer match between Borussia Dortmund.

An investigation is underway after the explosions rocked the Dortmund bus as it drove to their home stadium for a Champions League match against Monaco, injuring defender Marc Bartra and causing the game to be postponed for 24 hours.

Trump aide sorry on Hitler remark
I was trying to draw a distinction of the tactic of using airplanes to drop chemical weapons on population centers. Two conservative news outlets had made a similar comparison between Hitler and Assad earlier in the week.

"It is very hard today to think to go and play football".

But now that we've heard from some Dortmund players and staff post-match, it really seems like the game shouldn't have been played tonight.

"I know football is very important, we love football, we suffer with football, we love football".

But former German worldwide Lothar Matthaeus said it was "irresponsible" to get the players to go through with the game so soon after the attack.

Marc Barta, the Dortmund defender, broke a bone in his right wrist in the incident and underwent surgery in hospital.

Police said an officer accompanying the bus on a motorbike was suffering from blast trauma and shock.

Before the match began, fans chanted "Bartra!"

Dortmund now have a week to regroup before the return leg in Monaco next Wednesday.

"It will stick with us that we have to function and that everything else plays no role".

Comments