Churches in southern Egypt will not celebrate Easter

Adjust Comment Print

The attacker then detonated the bomb outside the cathedral.

The countrywide state of emergency was declared by President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi on Sunday after the attacks but required parliamentary approval according to the constitution.

The attack outside Saint Mark's church in Alexandria on Palm Sunday killed 17 people and was claimed by the Islamic State group.

IS said that two suicide bombers carried out the blasts.

Eyewitnesses said a police officer detected the bomber before he blew himself up.

"For them to be attacked on one of the holiest days in the Orthodox Christian church.A tragedy".

Egyptian officials denounced the violence as an attempt to sow divisions, and Francis sent his "deep condolences" to Tawadros.

In the wake of those savage and unspeakable attacks at these two Egyptian houses of worship, the gathering places for an ancient sect and the Middle East's largest Christian community, much of the world was asking "Why?"

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks that occurred at Coptic churches, USA Today reported.

"I heard the blast and came running".

Chinese tabloid warns North Korea against nuclear and missile tests
Trump said , "I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late". Trump said he again pressed Xi to use trade with the North as leverage.

"I believe the primary goal of the state of emergency isn't to hinder citizens' rights, but only aims to minimize the time and procedures of standard trials of terrorists which could last for years", said political expert Tariq Fahmy. Just a few months later 13 people were killed during a fracas between Christians and Muslims in Cairo.

Meanwhile, the government has provided increased security outside churches ahead of Easter Sunday.

Egypt had been ruled under emergency law - which allows police expanded powers of arrest and surveillance - for decades before 2012.

"We were not expecting people who live with us in the same country, people with whom we've shared love and friendships, and with whom we're familiar, to do these things", said Kobeish, the sound of ambulances bearing the wounded echoing outside. They comprise almost 10 percent of Egypt's 82 million people. Copts, who make up about one tenth of Egypt's population of more than 92mn, have been targeted several times in recent months.

The attack adds to fears that Islamic extremists who have always been battling security forces in the Sinai Peninsula may shift their focus to civilians. Given the backdrop, Sisi's recent visit to the United States, where he was pictured with President Trump, may have only sealed the Copts' fate.

Egypt has seen a spate of attacks since 2013, when the army deposed Morsi, the country's first democratically elected leader, following mass protests against his divisive rule.

Though the US President has expressed confidence in Sisi's ability to handle the security situation, it may not be enough for investors to continue pouring money into a nation where security concerns continue to arise.

It said the cancellation of services would take effect across all its churches, "due to the current circumstances the country and the Church are witnessing".

It said security forces were "pursuing efforts" to identify a second attacker who targeted the other church in Tanta hours, killing 28 worshippers.

The usually festive occasion is tainted with fearful apprehension after twin bombings in the cities of Tanta and Alexandria killed 45 people this week at churches on Palm Sunday, which marks the start of the Coptic Christian Holy Week.

Comments