"The Indianapolis 500 will be the only 2017 IndyCar race in which Fernando will compete, however, and the Monaco Grand Prix will therefore be the only 2017 Formula 1 race in which he will not compete". You've read that lead sentence correctly. This will be the first oval race for the two time F1 champion who has had a rough start in the 2017 season so far.
McLaren's Zak Brown said he was "particularly delighted" to enter the auto and Alonso at Indy.
"I'm immensely excited that I'll be racing in this year's Indy 500, with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport" said Alonso. The team now still has Jenson Button under contract.
Since the Indy 500 will take place on the same day as the Monaco GP, Alonso has been asked to skip the latter. But then again, if Alonso wins, that'll help their brand as his sponsor.
McLaren is assessing "a few different options" for who will replace Indy 500-bound Fernando Alonso at this year's Monaco Grand Prix.
The 35-year-old stated his regret at missing Monaco, but is keen to win the Triple Crown, a feat achieved only by Graham Hill - the fans, it seems, would love to see it.
"It's a tough challenge, but I'm up for it", he added.
"Le Mans is something I will do, probably as soon as I can".
"Winning in F1 is great, winning eight world championships in F1 would be great to have one more than Michael but that is very, very unlikely because I don't have time to do that".
Egypt's President announces a three-month state of emergency
It's based on the teachings of evangelist Saint Mark, who is believed to have brought Christianity to Egypt in the first century. Isis claims that they have not finished with their attacks yet, and have threatened to do more in a statement they issued.
IndyCar CEO Mark Miles said bringing in an F1 talent like Alonso is a great thing for the race.
McLaren ran an IndyCar squad throughout the 1970s and sold cars to customers. Johnny Rutherford added another two McLaren wins in 1974 and 1976 (BELOW), driving a works vehicle on both occasions.
Alonso has the full approval and support of his McLaren team and engine partner Honda.
The Spanish racer, 35, will drive for the Andretti team in a Honda-engine McLaren vehicle.
Alonso's off, so who will replace him?
The race's unique two-day qualifying procedure is the next hurdle on May 20-21. I wouldn't want to miss out any races in F1, you need to do all the races. He is also the son of three-time IndyCar champion and F1 champion Mario Andretti. He'll drive a Honda-powered Dallara for Andretti Autosport.
Button tweeted a jokey reaction on Wednesday after the news of Alonso's Indy programme was announced, asking: "Why do I have so many missed calls?"
Nine rookie drivers have won the Indy 500, including Alexander Rossi at last year's race.
McLaren driver Fernando Alonso of Spain, left, smiles at Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain prior to a news conference, ahead the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Formula One Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain, Thursday, April 13, 2017.

/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/54191881/usa_today_9984337.0.jpg)



Comments