Third London Bridge Terror Attacker Named As Moroccan-Italian Youssef Zaghba

Adjust Comment Print

"A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorist acts (contrary to section 5 Terrorism Act 2006) and has been taken into custody at a south London police station under the Terrorism Act 2000. What happened, how could he possibly be on a Channel 4 programme and be committing atrocities like this?' That is a question that will need to be answered by MI5, by the police, as the investigation goes on".

Zaghba's mother lives in the northern Italian city of Bologna and he had broken off relations with his Moroccan father, the source said, confirming a report on the website of newspaper Corriere della Sera.

The paper states he was stopped in March 2016 and was suspected of having tried to travel to Syria via Turkey.

Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, was a British citizen who was born in Pakistan.

"There was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned, and the investigation had been prioritized accordingly", police said in a statement.

Seven people died in the assault that occurred Saturday when three masked men drove a van into pedestrians on the bridge before jumping out and stabbing people at random, police said.

Читайте также: Team New Zealand goes belly up

All 12 people arrested on Sunday after the London attack have now been released without charge.

The ISIS has claimed responsibility for the latest terror attacks, which rattled London. In a letter posted outside Tuesday, the Ummah Fitness Centre said staff would "help the police in any way we can".

Neighbors described Butt as an avid weightlifter and Transport for London confirmed he worked for London Underground in customer service before leaving last October. Police said Butt was previously known to authorities, but had not been viewed as a serious threat. No arrests had been made, police said. Much of the area around London Bridge remained cordoned off as commuters struggled to work in the driving rain. The men continued the assault in the adjacent Borough Market area, a popular bar and restaurant district.

A minute's silence was observed in Britain at 11 a.m. local time (1000 GMT) in memory of those killed during the attack.

It had been set at "critical" in the days after the Manchester concert bombing on May 22 that killed 22 people - reflecting a judgment that an attack might be imminent because accomplices with similar bombs might be on the loose.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Comments